What causes hair loss?
While hair loss may be a problem that we associated with aging men, the truth of the matter is that hair loss can happen to both men and women at any age. There are a variety of reasons why someone may be dealing with hair loss, and the root cause can also provide us with insight on how our dermatological team can treat your hair loss. Common causes of hair loss include,
- Hair pulling
- Pregnancy-related (postpartum hair loss)
- Thyroid disorder
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
As you can see, there are many reasons why you may be dealing with hair loss and some of these problems are preventable. While certain health problems such as lupus or hypothyroidism will need to be properly addressed and treated by a specialist, our dermatologist can handle many of the problems associated with hair loss such as age and genetics. If your dermatologist believes that your hair loss could be due to health problems, an infection or vitamin deficiency then you’ll need to undergo certain tests in order to find out.
While hair may regrow on its own after pregnancy, an infection or a major surgery, your dermatologist can still provide you with treatment options that can help hair regrow and to prevent future hair loss. Your treatment plan may include,
- At-home treatment options to help stimulate new hair growth. This may include specialized products such as Rogaine® or other scalp treatments that you can use from the comfort of your own home. Most people will see results within 3-6 months of continued use.
- Corticosteroid injections can also help hair to regrow, especially in patients with alopecia. These injections are administered in areas where the patient has thinning patches of hair. This procedure is typically performed every 1-2 months, with the majority of patients seeing some hair regrow within 12 weeks of steroid treatment.
- Hair transplants are also a popular option for those dealing with male or female-pattern baldness. If you have thinning or balding then you could be a great candidate for a hair transplant. This is a permanent treatment option that can give you amazing results.
- Platelet-rich plasma has also been successful in treating hair loss. PRP therapy involves taking a small sample of the patient’s blood, which is then separated out into the platelet-rich plasma. From there, the PRP is prepared and injected into the scalp where there is balding or thinning hair. The procedure is fast and effective and may only need to be repeated every 1-3 months.
If you are dealing with hair loss and would like to discuss your treatment options with a qualified doctor, then call Young Dermatology today at (206) 456-4464 for a consultation.